|B.A. (Hons) English and Linguistics,
University of Wales (Bangor), UK, 1973
M.A. Linguistics and Phonetics,
University of Essex, UK, 1976
Ph.D. Welsh Linguistics,
University of Wales (Cardiff), UK, 1985
|Short List of Research Interests:
- General and clinical phonetics (especially developments in transcription and instrumentation)
- Phonology (especially as applied to disordered
- Sociolinguistics and Celtic linguistics
- Minority languages, and bilingualism
Major/Principal Recent Publications:
- Ball, M. J., Müller, N. and Rutter, B. (2009) Phonology
for Communication Disorders. Hove: Psychology Press.
- Ball, M. J. (Ed.) (2009) Sociolinguistics around
the World. London: Routledge.
- Powell. T. and Ball, M. J. (Eds.) (2009) Clinical
Linguistics. 4 volumes. Critical Concepts in Linguistics
series. London: Routledge.
- Ball, M. J. and Müller, N. (Eds.) (2009) The Celtic
Languages. 2nd edition. London: Routledge.
- Ball, M. J. and Müller, N. (2009) Clinical Phonology.
In Wei, L., and Cook, V. (Eds.) Contemporary Applied Linguistics,
Volume 2: Language for the Real World. London: Continuum. Pp.
- Ball, M. J., Müller, N., Klopfenstein, M. and Rutter,
B. (2009) The importance of narrow phonetic transcription
for highly unintelligible speech: Some examples. Logopedics
Vocology, 34, 84-90.
- Ball, M. J., Dixon-Millar, J. and Crain, K.
(2009) Adapting Cued Speech for Welsh. International
Journal of Speech Language Pathology, 11, 234-243.
- Ball, M. J. (2008) Transcribing disordered speech:
by target or by production. Clinical Linguistics
and Phonetics, 22, 864-870.
- Ball, M. J. Rutter, B. and Code, C. (2008) Phonological
Analyses of a case of Progressive Speech Degeneration.
Asia-Pacific Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing,
- Müller, N., Ball, M. J. and Rutter, N. (2008) An idiosyncratic
case of /r/ disorder: Application of principles from Systemic
Phonology and Systemic Functional Linguistics. Asia-Pacific
Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing, 11, 269-281.
- Ball, M. J., Perkins, M., Müller, N. and Howard, S.
(Eds.) (2008) Handbook of Clinical Linguistics. Oxford: Blackwell.